Sunday, January 23, 2011

RIP Shirley V

This morning when I heard that Shirley Vlasic had passed away my first thoughts were of how I wish I had done more. But then I thought of all the things I did do with Shirley and it made me happy to have known her. I will remember the following things about her:
She was one of a kind.
She worked hard.
She walked far to get to her jobs over the years.
She loved all things colonial Williamsburg including making candles.
She loved little kids--especially Ella Stevenson.
She loved everybody for that matter.
She loved to comment in SS, RS and institute and sometimes it was hard to get her to stop.
She knew her scriptures.
She had 3 or 4 bags with her everywhere she went.
She did her genealogy and temple work.
She was generous with the little she had.
She loved to write notes to people and send them in the mail.
She was without guile.
She would greet me every Sunday with a "Happy Sabbath".
She had no close family.
She was happy.

Vienna Ward was her family. I'm grateful for all of the families in the ward who stepped it up over the years to take care of her. This scripture pretty much sums up why I really wish I had done more....
  • Matthew 25:40

    And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

7 comments:

  1. Nice post about a nice lady. One image of Shirley I'll always remember is her sitting on a chair near the door of the church waiting for her ride home, which was usually provided by the Stevensons, I believe, at least in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post sums it all up! I think most of us who knew her wished we had done more for her over the years. Thanks for posting the lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tribute, Linda....she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this. Shirley was a co-worker of mine. She always credited me for helping her get the job as she had forgotten her glasses at home and I helped her fill out her application. She was there every single day, rain, sleet or snow always with a smile on her face. When she didn't show up to work on Saturday, we were all a little concerned as she never missed a day of work without letting us know. Yesterday morning, when we got the call informing us of the news, I was devastated. Shirley was a kind, jubilant person and I never took the time to get to know her more because we were always working. I would love for additional information regarding her funeral if you happen to have it. Our staff (her co-workers) would like to come. Please email me at ncbiay333@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this tribute to Shirley. I worked with her for many years in Washington, where she was a photo researcher for the World & I magazine. She was always cheerful, always generous and diligent in her work. She was a kind and sometimes childlike soul who saw the good and not the faults in others. I am grateful to her and thanks to all who supported her, as she had no close family. May she be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Memorial Service for Shirley Vlasic will be held February 3, 2011, 7:30 pm at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 2719 Hunter Mill Road, Oakton, VA 22124

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard yesterday about your passing. A big shock. You are missed Shirley. I really enjoyed your sense of humor, your generous spirit, your sense of justice. We had some fun working in the photo department at The World & I, battling in the trenches together. And I learned a lot from you about being organized and creating a paper trail. Thank you for being a friend to my family. And thank you for thinking of others before yourself. So sad you will not see Matthew graduate in June. But you are in a good place now. And I am grateful for having been touched by your gentle spirit. God speed Shirley. Love Peter and Mary, Angela and Matthew. p.s what are you holding in the blog photo? Looks like a yard of beer.

    ReplyDelete