Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Remarkable People

On Sunday we had company.  Among our guests were three truly awesome people.  First off, our cousin, Chandler, is in town paging on Capitol Hill and has stayed with us the past couple of weekends.  We knew him back in the day when he was just a little tyke and he would come and visit us with his parents.
  My, oh my, how he's grown up. He is a rising senior in HS but upon meeting him, you would think he's a return missionary. Go here to see his incredible eagle project.  

An outstanding missionary who has only been in our ward for a few weeks also dined with us.  His name is Elder Liew and he came all the way from Malaysia to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ here in the DC South Mission.  Click here to see his glam life as a missionary as profiled by the Washington Post.  He played the piano in Sacrament meeting on Sunday.  We were blown away--it was so incredible.  When I asked him how he learned how to play so well he told me that he took lessons for (only!) two months.  His  family didn't own a piano so he would go to piano stores and practice until he would be kicked out.  His English is also impressive (not to mention the other four languages he speaks).  Wow.  After serving his two years here, he makes the 37 hour trek back to Malaysia tomorrow.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet him!  

Our friend, Mike and his family, also came to dinner.  This is him and his baby girl from 11 years ago.  
He is one of the most brilliant people I have ever met.  I am pretty sure he has the US Constitution memorized.  I was not the least bit surprised when he was elected as a US Senator from Utah.  Well, maybe a little surprised--I thought he'd be a Congressman first.  He was just born to do it.

The cool thing about these three guys is their unassuming natures.  With all of their impressive accomplishments, they could have a lot to boast about, yet they are among the most humble people I've ever met.  Truly remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment